Fedora Atomic and Docker Host Image [was Re: Docker Host Image: Requirements?]

On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 03:18:44PM +0900, Sandro red Mathys wrote:
> What else would you expect from the Docker Host Image? This is way too
> easy, so kindly tell me what obvious things I'm clearly missing. Apart
> from "you need to actually make sure an image is built and working"...

It _could_ be as simple as just shipping with docker and maybe etcd, but we
could make some other changes too. For example, we could drop cloud-init and
just have a minimal metadata service.

Also, in order for this to really be promoted, the SELinux stuff has to
land, so there are some coordination responsibilities around that.

*But*, I'm also interested in exploring Colin Walter's Fedora Atomic
Initative here. That's because:

  1) It actually _would_ let us get python out of the image, significantly
     reducing image size.
  2) It's a response to CoreOS's A/B updates model, but actually goes one
     better. (Or, in fact, N better!)
  3) Fedora Atomic Initiative is the kind of leading-edge tech we _should_
     be exploring in Fedora.
  4) the Fedora Docker Host image is the right place to explore it because:
     - The atomic model has some flexibility issues, and really assumes
       another container layer on top for actually using it for anything,
       and right now, Docker is really the only one of those we have.
     - It is a reasonably-scopable target with a single purpose. Doing this
       for something like big data tools would be much harder, because
       each instance of that will probably get further configuration.
     - It's small, so it gives us a more manageable point to work on issues
       like mirroring.
     - Upstream docker still says "Please note Docker is currently under
       heavy development. It should not be used in production (yet).",
       which gives us some space to also put it on a bleeding edge
       base technology. :)

I know some other people are interested in helping this work, and I'll try
to get them to chime in instead of just lurking. :)

--
Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>