Re: Cloud product kernel requirements

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 11:26:25AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > Case 1 is easy -- no kernel, no problem.
> Or, perhaps more accurately, that case is covered by either someone
> else's kernel (which is SEP), or the standard kernel found in
> Workstation and Server.

Yes.

> > Case 2 is everything needed to boot and get network, console output, and
> > normal storage under KVM, Xen (especially as used in EC2), VirtualBox, and
> > VMware. (With priority to the first two.) This *could* be split further,
> > making a distinction between cloud providers, but there's diminishing
> > returns for effort.
> I'm going to be blunt.  VirtualBox and VMware aren't really focal
> points for the kernel team, for exact opposite reasons.  VirtualBox

Yeah, that's exactly why I put "with priority to the first two". I'm totally
happy with making that statement stronger / more clear.

> > Case 3 covers things like PCI passthrough or running a remote desktop where
> > you want virtual sound card support. For this, I think it's perfectly fine
> > to say "add the extra drivers pack".
> By which you mean admins manually (or via some tool like
> puppet/chef/ansible) installs the subpackage, correct?  Not "we create
> a special cloud image with the drier subpackage already included".

Probably manually, but I think we're still working that out as part of our
overall direction.

> > Case 4 could use a bit more discussion. *Mostly*, I think we can either
> > say that this is the same as case 3 or that we will just use whatever
> > Fedora Server does in this case (if different). However, I know oVirt
> > Node (and probably also OpenStack node) is concerned with image size on
> > bare metal. This would be a good time for anyone interested in that as a
> > focus to chime in.
> OK.  I literally have no idea how this is different from a minimal
> server install, so understanding that would be good.

One difference is provisioning via an image vs. anaconada + kickstart.

> Feel free to CC me.  I'm subscribed to the cloud list now, but I can't
> say I'll have time to fully pay attention to it.  Please drag me (or
> someone else on the kernel team) into specific things if you think you
> need to.

Thanks. We will take you up on that.

> > Main drivers are network traffic, provisioning speed, and density. With
> > probably a smidgen of marketing thrown in.
> So the thinking is smaller size means less to transfer, faster to
> boot, cheaper to store?  I can see the first one.  The second one is
> mostly either going to be in the noise range or just false.  The third
> one I don't buy.

Less to transfer is the one that's probably always going to be a meaningful
issue, at least in our lifetimes.

Size affects provisioning time because depending on the iaas software, the
image is often be completely copied to a new file possibly on a different
filesystem. Or on a different machine.

This could be considered a subset of 'network traffic' in some ways, but I'm
separating it out because the first includes things like "we don't want to
have a Fedora image available by default in $iaasdistro because it's too big
to be part of a normal install".

I agree that density is probably the least important because in situations
where that's a big concern there are other ways to address it (like
deduplication).

Anyone else feel free to chime in if I'm off-base here. :)

> Now that's all basically image (as in file) size.  What about runtime
> overhead of the kernel?  The server group is likely going to want
> things like NR_CPUS to be larger than it is today, which incurs some
> runtime memory usage overhead.  It isn't huge, but it would be good to
> know what common provisioning is in the cloud environments you're
> targeting in terms of memory.

Good question and I don't have a ready answer. Will keep this in mind as we
go through the PRD process.

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>