Re: ZOMG WHAT ARE WE BUILDING?!

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jzb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> (For those who weren't in today's IRC meeting, I sorta apologize for the
>> subject line. Sorta.)
>>
>> As we were discussing today - we need to decide what we are building,
>> and (almost as importantly) what we're not building. We've agreed that
>> we want to be cooperating with the server SIG, but don't necessarily
>> plan to build a foundation for an IaaS ourselves.
>>
>> Some of the questions that were raised during the meeting:
>
> Note:  I am a cloud newbie.  Please bear with my stupid questions.
>
>> - Should we drop 32-bit?
>
> I was under the impression that 32-bit guests on 64-bit hosts were
> fairly common for applications where the advantages of 64-bit address
> space isn't needed.  E.g. "64-bit python sucks a lot".  Maybe that's
> becoming less of a concern?

Agree - lots of situations where 32-bit is preferable, and in many
cases still the defacto arch.

>> - Should we be targeting ARM?
>
> Now?  Maybe.  In the future?  Probably should, yes.

>From a Cloud perspective, I don't know of a single public cloud using ARM.
There are tons of benefits to using ARM, but I am not seeing
deployments personally. This is a nice to have IMO at this stage,
though we shouldn't ignore it, I think the power savings will make it
prominent in very short order, but not sure that it's in the purview
of

>> - Do we worry about supporting ALL THE METHODS of building the image, or
>>   no? (I recommend we focus on One True Way so as not to confuse
>>   everyone with 80 different ways they *could* do it.)
>
> So, from a person that doesn't use cloud stuff but might actually want
> to try and create an image to make sure I don't break things (kernel
> maintenance is fun!), I'd really like one way to make images.  Knowing
> all of the images are made one way makes it easier to spin my own to
> recreate and then test fixes, etc.  If I have to worry about person X
> building one way and something breaking, but person Y building another
> way and it works, it's going to drive me crazy.

So Fedora should have a way of building images - and that way should
also be easily consumable by others. (e.g. Koji is probably not the
best answer). Image Factory, Boxgrinder, Vagrant. Bonus points if we
don't reinvent a tool and adopt something that the rest of the world
is already consuming and familiar with.