Re: collateral/postcard for openstack conference next week

On 04/13/2012 07:13 AM, Robert Kukura wrote:
On 04/13/2012 09:48 AM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
Okay, so:

Because Ruth is awesome (HI RUTH!) she took a swag at putting together
some of the input from here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud_Marketing_Collateral/OpenStack_in_Fedora

And turned it into this:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Clouddraft1side2.jpeg
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Clouddraft1side1.jpeg

I think it is a 5x7 postcard-style/weight piece.

It's still pretty drafty but seeking comments/edits (a lot of this was
copied verbatim).

My main ... not concern, but, well.. we're in this awkward spot where
things are done for the Essex release, but F17 itself isn't actually
out, so I'm not sure if it's appropriate to pull in Quantum, Keystone,
Horizon into the top set of bulletpoints.  (That said, I haven't looked
to see if Essex is also available now for F16, which might make this
less of a conundrum.)
F16 is staying at Diablo, but Essex is available for F16 now via a
preview repository (see the test day wiki). I think emphasizing Essex
and all its components would be a lot more compelling.

For Quantum, I'd suggest something like:

* Quantum: A virtual networking service with a REST interface and
pluggable back-ends. The Essex release supports Open vSwitch, Linux
bridging, and a variety of virtual networking controller technologies.
Okay, check out the below bits and see if this makes more sense - I cut out the "new in F17" and changed it into additional features, added your quantum bit, and noted that it was available for F16 as a preview.

I didn't note that F17 is still in beta since it's technically downloadable and usable, and also it would probably be helpful to just be able to use these cards for the duration of F17, since we're heading into summertime conference season.

-robyn

OpenStack and Fedora

OpenStack is a widely supported, open source suite of components for provisioning public and private IaaS cloud platforms. The latest release, Essex, is available for both Fedora 16 (as a preview) and Fedora 17. With OpenStack and Fedora, you'll find:

* Nova: A service to manage virtual machines, including stopping, starting, and live migration. Fedora support for libguestfs increases the variety of virtual machineimage formats you can manipulate.

* Glance: A virtual machine image registration service, providing a REST interface to image caching and tretrieval.

* Swift: An object storage service akin to Amazon's S3 service.

* Quantum: A virtual networking service with a REST interface and pluggable back-ends. The Essex release supports Open vSwitch, Linux bridging, and a variety of virtual networking controller technologies.

Additional features
    * An included dashboard self-service and administration UI
* Open vSwitch available for use by Quantum (this line may be redundant with above?)
    * Simplified dependencies with Qpid as the messaging transport
    * Upstream-supported libguestfs integration
    * Optimized handling of VM images to minimize time and disk space used
    * KVM support for booting from ISOs and better control over disk images
    * Separate admin and volume APIs in Nova
    * Optimized image transfer and progress info with Glance

Additional details about using OpenStack with Fedora:
    fedoraproject.org/wiki/OpenStack

Learn more about Fedora:
    join.fedoraproject.org

Get involved with the Fedora Cloud Special Interest Group:
    fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud_SIG

-Bob

TAKING FEEDBACK (and praise for ruth). (And yes, if we get it done
between now and Monday, they can be there on Wednesday for boothiness on
Thursday/Friday during the conference part.)

-Robyn