Re: Virtualization and HotPlugging/swapping

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 5:04 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That is correct. The live memory adjustment for KVM/QEMU via
> libvirt is ballooning, not memory hotplug. Likewise for Xen
> and VMWare. Real memory hotplug is a future RFE.
>
>> I've read some stuff here:
>> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/CPUHotPlug
>
> Yep, CPU hotplug is available for KVM/libvirt, but support among
> common guest OS is flakey. It doesn't work at all for Windows,
> and for Linux only hotplug works, but not unplug. Xen however
> did allow hot-unplug because it was using a different mechanism
> IIUC.
>
> For KVM, HDD hotplug already works for virtio disks, or SCSI
> disks, or USB disks. It doesn't work for IDE disks. For Xen
> hotplug works for xen paravirt disks.
>
> For KVM, NIC hotplug also works, and in general any kind of
> emulated PCI device can be hotplugged. For Xen, again their
> xen paravirt NICs could be hotplugged.

So, in practical terms,

RAM "extension" is done by ballooning
CPU hotplugging is possible but not unplugging.
And HDD hotplugging is possible...

I read a thread (2008) that offered a patch on this ACPI technique for
RAM HotPlugging. Check it out:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/kvm/msg27395.html

CPU UnPlugging is not considered as a needed feature is it?
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/CPUHotPlug
"Hot-unplug does not work, and actually, does not even make that much sense."