Re: Cloud projects inside of RedHat

On 12/09/2010 11:09 PM, Chris Lalancette wrote:
> Hello all,
>       There are a group of us inside of RedHat working on a number of cloud
> related projects.  I'd like to get a bit more visibility to these projects, so
> I'm going to make a few announcements on this list.  The idea is to keep up
> with these announcements and get more participation.
>       The first project I'd like to point out is my own "oz" project.
> The main goal of this project is to be able to do fully unattended installs
> of guest OSs.  Though this isn't strictly tied to the cloud, it is one of the
> foundations of being able to go all the way from a blank diskimage to a
> running instance in, say, EC2.
>       Oz works by using the native installer from the various OSs along with
> the appropriate kickstart or other autoattend file.  In order to minimize the
> possibility of errors, the initial guest that is created is Just Enough
> Operating System (JEOS).  Assuming the installation of the JEOS is successful,
> then the guest can be fired up to do further automatic customization (there is
> prototype code to do this, but it doesn't really work yet).

Chris, this sounds good. So, over the weekend I cloned the repo and quickly ran an
rpmbuild and installed 'oz' rpm.

This is the standard TDL I used:
kashyap@test1$ cat f14x86_64.tdl
<template>
   <name>f14jeos</name>
   <os>
     <name>Fedora</name>
     <version>14</version>
     <arch>x86_64</arch>
     <install type='url'>

<url>http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Fedora/x86_64/os/</url>
     </install>
   </os>
   <description>Fedora 14</description>
</template>

This was the command line I gave to generate JEOS.
$ sudo oz-install -d 4 f14x86_64.tdl

The install fails  by "Timed out waiting for install to finish" (thrown by `Guest.py` ?):
.
.
.
DEBUG:oz.Guest.FedoraGuest:Waiting for Fedora14x86_64 to finish installing, 10/1200

I looked at the PNG  it generated, and it says :
"Cannot retrieve repository(repomod.xml) for repository:
anaconda-InstallationRepo-201010211827.x86_64. Please verify it's path and try again'

I guess this is incorrect. Because I'm very sure(& rechecked) the 'repomod.xml' does exist
in the url(mentioned in f14x86_64.tdl). And using the very same url I do a lot of
unattended network installs via virt-install and kickstart.

Am I missing anything trivial here? I didn't dig much into oz python classes. Will see if
I can get to that over the next weekend.

Thanks,
Kashyap Chamarthy