Re: Build iraf RPM on fedora

Hi Ole,

I completely agree on trying to coordinate efforts.

My comments about the points you rise:

* Splitting into smaller packages. As all the .cl, .dat, .par, .key files, etc are shareable between arches I agree that they should go to /usr/share/iraf and in a differente package. Notice that there are still a bunch of files (READMEs, csh scripts, text files with docs about implementation, etc) that are basically not need in the running system and could be removed.

Speaking about arches, an ARM port would be very cool...

Regarding docs and  noao and vo packages, I have my doubts. The docs are used in the internal documentation system (when you type "help" in cl). In my experience, users type "help" all the time. Tasks are complex, with long lists of parameters and you need the doc system  to understand what
the task does. The noao package contains basic subpackages. CCD processing is in noao.imred.ccdred Long slit spectrosocopy is in noao.twodspec. In fact, I preloaded noao in my login.cl just to avoid loading myself everytime I entered Iraf.
I haven't used vo, thought.

Spliting said packages would mean that, to have a functional iraf, one usually would install iraf, iraf-noao, iraf-doc, iraf-noao-doc and (iraf-vo, iraf-vo-doc). Too many packages in my opinion. I prefer just iraf for binaries and iraf-common (for example) for noarch data.

We need an iraf-dev if we want to be able to build external iraf packages. The xc compiler should go in this package. And the headers and libraries.

And x11iraf (where xgterm lives) has to be another package. And we need .desktop files for it.

* Copyright. Probably you are right.

Best, Sergio