Re: Introductions

On Dec 31, 2007 8:17 AM, Lamar Owen <lowen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Good morning, and an early Happy New Year to everyone.
>
> I first learned of this SIG Saturday; very cool.  I have downloaded and have
> read the archives of the mailing list (nothing like getting a little history,
> even if that isn't but a month long) and I plan on attending the meeting on
> the 11th, unless something work related comes up.
>
> By way of introductions, I am CIO at the Pisgah Astronomical Research
> Institute (PARI), which is one of the few observatories with both optical and
> radio capabilities.

Ahh the place I always wanted to work :). Congrats to see you Lamar..

> We currently have several optical instruments, from a pair of solar telescopes
> with Ethernet video webcams to a 16 inch DFM with an Apogee Ethernet CCD, and
> we have four dish-type radio instruments: two 26 meter X-Y mounted prime
> focus parabolics good  up to 12-14GHz; a 12.2 meter prime focus parabolic
> good to 26-30GHz; and a 4.6 meter prime focus parabolic good up to the low
> millimeter range.  We also have a few HF arrays for use with the Radio Jove
> program, observing the sun and Jupiter in the 20-28 MHz band.  We also host
> another radio instrument from Virginia Tech; see
> http://www.ece.vt.edu/swe/eta/ for lots and lots of details on this exciting
> instrument.

Wow.. that seems like a lot of stuff added since 1994.. or better advertised.

> On the subject of packages, I see in the rejected packages list IRAF.  Getting
> permission from UCAR to distribute NCAR as a part of Fedora would be killer,
> as IRAF is de rigeur for optical astronomy.  For radio astronomy, getting the
> former AIPS and AIPS++ packages, as well as the currently maintained CASA
> packages, in Fedora would be killer, as that is pretty much required for
> single dish and interferometer imagery in radio astronomy.

What are the licenses for AIPS? I havent looked at it since I think
early 1990s (or I am thinking of a different project.. I am on Nyquil
at the moment.).

Congrats on the CIO position... and I will look at the GNUradio stuff.