Re: Lenovo Thinkpad X13s Black Screen

Hey folks,

I was able to test flashing the raw image directly onto my internal drive. I had to reset the BIOS and then re-enable Linux support and disable UEFI secure boot again. Now the boot entry for Fedora shows up for the internal drive. However, it just boots into the GRUB recovery shell. Here are the latest commands I am using to setup the raw image:

```
$ export DEVICE=sda
$ sudo -E mount -t btrfs -o subvol=root /dev/${DEVICE}3 /mnt
$ sudo -E mount -t btrfs -o subvol=home /dev/${DEVICE}3 /mnt/home
$ sudo -E mount -t ext4 /dev/${DEVICE}2 /mnt/boot
$ sudo -E mount -t vfat /dev/${DEVICE}1 /mnt/boot/efi
$ sudo mount -t proc none /mnt/proc
$ sudo mount --rbind /dev /mnt/dev
$ sudo mount --rbind /sys /mnt/sys
$ sudo mkdir -p /mnt/run/systemd/resolve/
$ echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" | sudo tee /mnt/run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf
$ sudo mv /mnt/lib/firmware/qcom/sc8280xp/LENOVO/21BX/qcadsp8280.mbn.xz /root/
$ sudo nano /mnt/etc/dracut.conf.d/20_thinkpad-x13s.conf
add_drivers+=" qrtr "
$ sudo chroot /mnt dracut --regenerate-all --force
$ sudo nano /mnt/etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="arm64.nopauth clk_ignore_unused pd_ignore_unused rd.driver.blacklist=msm"
GRUB_DEFAULT_DTB="dtb/qcom/sc8280xp-lenovo-thinkpad-x13s.dtb"
$ sudo chroot /mnt grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
$ sudo sync
```

Dennis, thank you so much for helping to test out Fedora as well as your follow-up to help fix the battery status. I downloaded the Rawhide build available as soon as your email came in: Fedora-Workstation-Live-osb-Rawhide-20231216.n.0.aarch64.iso . I tested on both of my USB-C ports with a NVMe (native USB-C) and SATA (with a USB-A to USB-C adapter) external drive and used Fedora Writer to flash the ISO. I modified the boot arguments to include "arm64.nopauth
clk_ignore_unused pd_ignore_unused modprobe.blacklist=qcom_q6v5_pas" and removed the "quiet" flags (there appear to be two in the Rawhide builds for some reason). I see the boot messages below and then it switches to a blank screen for a few seconds before the laptop reboots:

"""
  Booting a command list

EFI stub: Decompressing Linux Kernel...
EFI stub: Using DTB from configuration table
EFI stub: Exiting boot services...
_
"""

At least with the raw image flashed to an external drive using my steps above, I see more kernel/boot information after this part and it does not reboot. Using the ISO, it just instantly goes blank and then reboots shortly after that.

I would be inclined to say that maybe the latest BIOS broke something or that my newer X13s could be a slight hardware variant. However, I am able to boot, install, and use Armbian with no problems at all. I cross-referenced their kernel modules and configurations (along with various other sources) to come up with my "ultimate" configuration from my first e-mail thread.

I am at a complete loss. Fedora seems to work on the X13s for everyone except me.

Sincerely,
    Luke Short