Re: GPIO @ Fedora38 WS

Hi René,

I've copied the Fedora arm list, please email the list or post on the
Fedora forumus in the future, it allows others to reply as well as
learn from replied.

On Mon, Nov 27, 2023 at 12:06 PM René Kummer <renku@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Peter Robinson,
>
> I read your post on the internet
> (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RaspberryPi4).
>
> I am using fedora 38 on my Raspberry Pi4.
>
> I would say I like it running fedora on my Pi.
>
> It fits all my needs up to now except one thing.
>
> I wanted to use the GPIO ports but I can't figure out how to do so.
>
> So, the first step was trying to install pigpio library via dnf. But
> there seem to be no such package.
>
> Mhh I ended up confused and not knowing how to install pigpio.
>
> The next step was to compile pigpio library by my own, that was also not
> successful.

TBH I had never heard of pigpio until you just mentioned it now.

> My question is, is it possible to use the GPIO Ports with fedora
> workstation 38.

The main way we support GPIO on any device in Fedora is via the gpiod
character interface: /dev/gpiochip*

The main userspace libaries for this is libgpiod and python3-libgpiod
but anything that supports the kernel gpiod character interfaces
should work.

The problem with a lot of the RPi specific interfaces for GPIO is that
the RPi has uses an old deprecated GPIO interface with their own
custom set of patches on top. We don't support those.