Re: Fedora Linux 39 Final blocker status summary #3

On Fri, Oct 20, 2023 at 7:56 PM Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi folks! We're still trying to get F39 done, so time for another
> status update...
>
> Action summary
> ==============
>
> Accepted blockers
> -----------------
>
> 1. kexec-tools - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2243068 - VERIFIED: releng
> to push the fix stable
>
> 2. mutter - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2241632 - ASSIGNED: desktop
> team (and adamwill) to keep trying to come up with a fix
>
> 3. shim - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2113005 - NEW: assume this will
> be waived
>
> 4. uboot-tools - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2241252 - ASSIGNED: ARM
> team (pbrobinson) to fix it
>
> 5. uboot-tools - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2244305 - ASSIGNED: ARM
> team to evaluate and fix if possible, ARM/QA to test on more systems if
> possible
>
> 6. distribution - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2242759 - NEW: anyone at
> all to come up with a genius fix, otherwise we'll likely have to
> document this
>

> Bug-by-bug detail
> =================
>
> Accepted blockers
> -----------------
>
> 1. kexec-tools - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2243068 - VERIFIED
> kdump is enabled by default on desktops
>
> This is basically fixed, just waiting to be pushed stable.
>
> 2. mutter - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2241632 - ASSIGNED
> Netinstall ISO renders a black screen when using kickstart install
> (bare metal and VM)
>
> Well, we kinda had a fix for this, but it turns out to break something
> even worse (now anaconda isn't visible on the Workstation live image).
> So we're still stuck trying to find a perfect fix, unfortunately.
> Desktop team plus me to keep cranking away on it.
>
> 3. shim - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2113005 - NEW
> Live image made with BOOTX64.EFI from latest shim-x64-15.6-2 fails to
> boot on some boards
>
> Let's just assume this is gonna be waived.
>
> 4. uboot-tools - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2241252 - ASSIGNED
> Fedora-Workstation-39_Beta-1.1 boots to a black screen on Raspberry Pi
> 4
>
> Peter says "So we've basically got to the bottom of the problem and
> worked out the issue, I now just need to come up with a fix.", so
> that's what we're waiting on.
>
> 5. uboot-tools - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2244305 - ASSIGNED
> Fedora Server 39 does not boot on Raspberry Pi 4 (RPi4) from microSD
> card slot
>
> This one's also waiting on ARM team (i.e. Peter), but seems somewhat
> less clear-cut of a blocker, so we're kinda waiting for his take on
> that, plus testing from other Raspberry Pi owners would be useful.
>
> 6. distribution - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2242759 - NEW
> dnf system-upgrade fails on some RPi4 due to system boot date that pre-
> dates gpg key

> [...]

I'm just spitballing here for item (6), but can you install a dummy
package on the RPI's with no real time clock, and interpret the
presence of the package to mean "skip time checks"? Maybe something
like skip-time-check.rpm?

We used to experience these kinds of problems a lot back in the early
2000s on mobile devices without a SIM card. The phone would reboot,
but was unable to acquire time from the network because there was no
access to the mobile network. It was especially common for old test
phones. You would have your current mobile phone with service, and 4
or 5 test phones without SIM cards.

Jeff