Re: Raspberry Pi PoE HAT

Fedora Arm Community -

Ben Herrick and I exchanged several messages about Fedora 36 and
Fedora 35. I was successful in getting the POE Hat fan to work with
Fedora 36 (beta) using a couple of the steps as outlined in the Fedora
wiki for RPI Hats but was not as successful with Fedora 35. I suspect
it should work as long as current firmware files are used (e.g.
start4.elf) but in my very limited testing with FC35, I could not get
the board to boot and I was too lazy to pull the headless board from
the rack to plug a monitor and keyboard to see where the boot was
stalling.

My original process involving a custom upstream device tree to
integrate with the POE Hat fan device driver still works fine for FC35
and FC34.

For Fedora 36 (beta) I found that if I followed the steps in the wiki
to load the firmware device tree (rm /boot/dtb and set FirmwareDT=true
in /etc/u-boot.conf) then the POE Hat fan would just work as long as I
also made sure the upstream_kernel=1 option in config.txt was
commented out.

I did not need to add the rpi-poe or i2c dtoverlay lines to
config.txt. This process worked on 3 RPi4 boards that were updated
from FC35 using dnf system upgrade and which use u-boot. A fourth RPi4
using UEFI was also updated to FC36 beta with upstream_kernel=1
commented out and the POE Hat fan also worked without any additional
configuration.  All 4 boards are 8 GB and all 4 POE Hats are the
original model.

The device tree can be inspected at /proc/device-tree and will show a
directory called pwm-fan which is the hook needed for the upstream fan
device driver. lsmod can be used to display the presence of the
pwm_raspberrypi_poe device driver that makes all of this happen as
long as the linux kernel is 5.13 or newer (if i recall correctly).

Glad to answer any questions.

regards

Brad