Re: Grub slow at loading kernel and initrd

On 10/01/2022 08:02, Peter Robinson wrote:
On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 3:21 PM Michael Whapples
<contact@ashotinthedark.online> wrote:
Hello,

I have been using fedora on my Odroid XU4 for some time (well over a
year) and its generally been working well. I had been updating the
install to the latest Fedora release as they came out. Recently though I
decided to start with a fresh image of Fedora 35 and I noticed that it
was very slow for grub to load the kernel and initrd (I haven't timed it
but well over a minute). To check that it definitely was kernel and
initrd loading I edited the menu item and inserted echo commands around
the linux and initrd lines.

Previously with the old Fedora install using the extlinux.conf boot
configuration there was no such delay and the system could be fully
booted in less time than it takes grub to load the kernel and initrd on
the new install.

Also with the new install I have tried manually starting the kernel and
initrd from uboot, both the old bootz and the EFI bootefi commands, and
neither of these have the delay I notice with grub.

When I have searched online for a solution, I have found some reports of
grub being slow to load the kernel, but no real answers as how to fix it.

So my questions are:

1. Does anyone know how to solve this? Hints on how to debug grub and
what is going on would also be welcome.
Do you have a keyboard attached when it boots?
No, I am using it over serial console. There are no external devices connected, although I know the ethernet port is using USB.

grub2 uses the "drivers" provided by the firmware (U-Boot) and there
was a bug there, that should be fixed, or at least greatly improved,
in the rawhide builds of U-Boot. You can use the rawhide builds of
U-Boot firmware on stable releases. There should be a 2022.01 GA
release this week. Details here:
https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2022-January/470773.html

2. As I can still get a installation using the extlinux.conf
configuration instead of grub (either by installing an old version and
upgrading or by booting the Everything installer in non-EFI mode), is
this likely to be supported for much longer and is this really a
sensible route to take?
It will be supported until the end EOL of Fedora 36 but that's also
when we're EOLing ARMv7 support in Fedora:

Well I guess based on that there is little point in me trying to debug grub unless I spot the bug on other devices which will be supported for longer. I can continue using extlinux.conf for as long as I can use fedora on this board.

Thanks for the answers.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RetireARMv7