Re: Pinebook Pro instructions for F-34

Hey Peter,

thanks for finally making my Pinebook Pro usable.

Following your instructions I was able to boot Fedora (XFCE) from an SD
card, then repeated the procedure to burn it onto the internal eMMC and
it works great.

I was starting with a stock u-boot, used the serial console to write the
SPI flash to be sure, but I have had video output throughout the process
so it should be doable even without serial.

I have been using the laptop as my primary workstation for two days
which made me test almost every feature, here I am sharing my
observations, many of which you already mention in the blog post:
- The USB2 port on the right side works fine
- Anything plugged into the USB3 port on the left side has to be
re-plugged after reboot.
- USB-C charging does not work. I tried 4 random chargers I have had
around - 2 of them seem to do absolutely nothing when plugged in, 2 of
them have the device switch between charging and battery every ~10 seconds.
- USB-C display output does not work.
- USB-C works as a standard USB port, I have a hub with Ethernet plugged
in and it works fine. The hub must not be powered though, otherwise it
would behave like a charger.
- Onboard WiFi and BT do not work (obviously because of the firmware).
Even with the temporary firmware the WiFi is quite unstable and
sometimes causes the whole machine to freeze needing a hard reboot.
Removed the firmware, switched to a USB dongle and the issue went away.
- Sound does not play from the speakers even though pulseaudio thinks it
is. I have not tested the headphone jack as I am using it for serial
console.
- PCI Express does not work.
- The kernel framebuffer does not show kernel logs, but some pixels are
flashing at the very top of the screen after u-boot goes away. The first
actual video output after u-boot is Plymouth or lightDM depening on
whether I have rhgb or not.
- The webcam somewhat works - it shows a picture but it is pretty laggy
and definitely not 1080p.

All in all this is a pretty decent experience and for me personally it
is already usable as it is. Great job!

Michal