Re: qemu during boot: "Guest disabled display."

Gerd Hoffmann writes:

  Hi,

> The only thing that's not working is the system console when booting.

That is normal.  There is no efi gop support on arm, so no efifb boot
framebuffer.

> After grub loads and starts the kernel, "Guest disabled display." is
> shown until X starts.

Yep.  Once the virtio-gpu kms driver is loaded you'll get an functional
display.  Maybe delayed until something is actually printed to the
console due to CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_DEFERRED_TAKEOVER=y.  With a
"quiet" boot that very well might be no message before gdm starts.

I don't see the "quiet" option in the args. Grubby shows the kernel args to be only:

args="ro cma=256MB"

I'll clarify – the console shows "Guest disabled display." pretty much after the kernel starts, and until X starts. Pretty sure that there are plenty of messages during a normal kernel boot, but nothing comes out.

plymouth is installed, but I don't see an "rhgb" option there.

> And now, I'm upgrading F32 to F33, in the VM completely blind. The only
> thing that tells me the VM is not dead is the CPU activity monitoring in
> virt manager, and I see the timestamp of the disk image file getting updated
> on the host.

Hmm.  That is not normal.  In theory F33 should behave like F32 did ...

I was talking about the upgrade itself. It took about eight and a half hours of "dnf system-upgrade" to finish its thing. Afterwards it rebooted into F33, and that was that, as soon as X started, the display came back.

dnf system-upgrade log gave me all the gory details of what was happening. An ordinary, boring system-upgrade. But completely blind. I do have another system that does not use plymouth or a graphical boot, and shows a text-only console during boot until X starts. system-upgrade spews a mass of messages doing its thing, one package at a time.

None of that was visible during the eight hours the VM went through the paces of updating F32 to F33, just "Guest disabled display.". Virt-manager was showing me CPU activity, and I had absolute faith in the progress, and that it'll reach the end. Went to sleep, and in the morning found myself staring at lightdm's login screen. Would've been nice to see the upgrade progress, all along.