Re: How Will Apple Custom-Silicon Impact Fedora on Mac?

> Perhaps it's too early to speculate, but with the recent release of information that Apple will be transitioning from Intel-based CPUs to their own, custom ARM chips, I wonder if anyone deeper in the know (pbrobinson, pwhalen, others?) could speak to the continuing of Fedora on the Mac platform?

So we don't have any more knowledge at all around the Arm based Mac platforms.

At the moment, based on the very little public available knowledge, it
looks like that there won't be the ability to run bare metal OSes
other than macOS but there will be the ability to run VMs and
containers.

>From a VM/container PoV I would expect, but have zero actual
knowledge, that it should be a standard Arm interface, in the VM
instance I suspect the interface will be a standard SBSA generic VM
but no insight into whether it'll be a generic hypervisor interface
that the likes of Parallels (I believe it was Parallels they used in
the demo) just presents a GUI, and hence be the same across any of the
potential vendors or whether there will be differences.

I have no intention of applying to buy the developer HW, I'm sure
there will be people in the Arm ecosystem that will, so time will tell
but basically it's too early to know and that things will evolve with
time. When the x86 Macs first launched you couldn't run Windows and
they eventually introduced Boot Camp, they've said Boot Camp is out so
I suspect, as I have suspected and stated would be the case ever since
the rumours started a number of years ago, that from an OS/boot point
of view that any Arm based Mac would look closer to iOS and locked
down. From a security PoV this is actually the right thing to do, from
a choice PoV less so.

So long story short I'm sure we'll support the VM/container option of
Fedora on Arm based Macs at some point, anything more than that is too
early to tell.

Peter