Re: ODROID-N2

Hi Rafael,

> I recently got an ODROID-N2 but forgot to first check if it was possible
> to run recent linux distros on it.
>
> I am happy with Fedora on my raspberry pi 4, so that would be my first
> choice. I now see that the N2 is not support and that booting it
> requires a few binary blobs:
>
> https://gitlab.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot/-/blob/master/board/amlogic/w400/README.odroid-n2
>
> Is that a no go for fedora or are early boot blobs like that acceptable?
> What package would I have to add the above build instructions to?
> uboot-images-armv8?

It's a no go for Fedora shipping the support out of the box. I have
considered writing a script that would do the needed bits
automatically but decided against it because Odroid is generally quite
upstream and distro hostile so I would prefer to spend my time
assisting the SBC makers that support the community instead.

That being said I've had reports that the Fedora userspace/kernel runs
just fine on the N2 once you've sorted out the firmware side of
things. I'm not sure what they tested from a AV point of view. The
Amlogic looks like it had a Mali-G52 GPU which is a bitfrost class
which isn't yet supported in panfrost, the open source reverse
engineered driver for the newer gens of MALI hardware, but there seems
to be progress here [1], but it should support video offload although
I've not had time to look at that in general in Fedora to see whether
it just works or whether we need to tweak userspace, there's a number
of drivers now upstream for various SoCs to support this so it's not
unique to Amlogic HW.

Basically once you sort firmware the rest should work but YMMV but
happy to assist where possible to fix up kernel/userspace bits if we
need Fedora tweaks.

[1] https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/blog/2020/04/23/from-bifrost-to-panfrost-deep-dive-into-the-first-render/