Re: Funny display on Raspberry Pi

On 26/03/2020 19:39, Peter Robinson wrote:
I have a Raspberry Pi 3B running Fedora AAarch connected to my TV.

After installed the latest version 31 updates, the display went weird on
me. Monitor preferences list an "unknown" monitor with resolution
1824x984 and refresh rate 77 Hz, and colours are all wrong. What should
be red or orange is blue, blue is red or brown, and I'm not really sure
what everything else I see on the screen is supposed to look like, but
the greens may be more or less right.

Any idea what's going on?
No, but then I've not ran F-31 on a RPi for a month or two, I tend to
move to dev releases pretty quickly and don't regularly use desktop
UXes in testing.
So, do you reckon the Fedora 32 Beta will be usable?

First question is what updates were applied, the most likely
candidates are kernel and mesa. If you reboot into the previous kernel
does it start working again?

Now, there's something I haven't figured out how to do very easily, as I'm dumb enough to rely on a Bluetooth keyboard... Anyhow, I set the default to the last kernel but one via grubby, and rebooted. Still have the same issue.

How long between the updates, was it
days/weeks/months since you last updated and rebooted?
It's been a couple of months, I think.

I'm using the MATE desktop.
Custom image? Anything else custom or did you start with
minimal/workstation/xfce and cross grade?
This is a system that has been upgraded across several releases. I started off with an image available through arm.fedoraproject.org, or an earlier generation of that site - like the ones available under "Desktop Computing" now. I think it was F28, but I'm not 100 % sure. Obviously, I kept the image, but who can tell where I put it?
If I connect my CentOS 7 laptop to the same HDMI port using the same
cable, everything seems just fine.
Well that's a mostly irrelevant comparison because none of the
software is anywhere near Fedora.
Depends on your definition of near, doesn't it? But it was mostly not a comparison at all; the point was that there is not likely to be a problem with the TV itself or the connection to it.

- Toralf