Re: The server images are not working with Fedora 31

Hi,

Sorry for late answear, RL and work hit me.

Interesting that this works for you.
I have tested this on two devices and they do not boot from power off
with a freashly made installation:
Rock 64 rk3328 4GB V2.0
Raspberry PI 3B v1.2 (different revision of the board?)

For both u-boot tries to load the DTB, but fails sine it cannot read
the files off of XFS.
(you get from uboot a couple of "** Unrecognized filesystem type **"
while it probes filesystems for the dtbs)
After that they start grub2 which start the kernel, which ends at:
EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel...
EFI stub: EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL unavailable, no randomness supplied
EFI stub: Using DTB from configuration table
EFI stub: Exiting boot services and installing virtual address map...

And after that nothing, and I have let it stand like that for hours so
it is not that I am impatient.

The setup for the raspberry is as follows:
A SD card written out with:
$ sudo fedora-arm-image-installer
--image=Fedora-Server-31-1.9.aarch64.raw.xz --media=/dev/sdc -y
--target=rpi3
After that I have enabled the UART in /boot/config.txt to be able to
see the printout from uboot and from the kernel. After that, plugged
it ind tried to boot it.

The setup for the Rock64 is as follows:
A USB-drive written with:
$ sudo fedora-arm-image-installer
--image=Fedora-Server-31-1.9.aarch64.raw.xz --media=/dev/sdc -y
--target=rpi3
A SD-card written with:
$ sudo dd if=/usr/share/uboot/rock64-rk3328/idbloader.img of=/dev/sdd seek=64
$ sudo dd if=/usr/share/uboot/rock64-rk3328/u-boot.itb of=/dev/sdd seek=16384
Putting the sdcard into the Rock64, and the USB-drive inte one of the
USB2-sockets, and powering it on, the rock64 locks up in the same
place as the rpi3.

By putting the /boot/dtb directory into the efi vfat-filesystem
instead, I can see u-boot find and load the dtb before starting grub2
("Found DTB usb 0:1 /dtb/rockchip/rk3328-rock64.dtb" in uboot), and
when doing this, the system boots without problem.

@Peter Robinson , the following comment, I think the final part is
maybe misleading:
"On aarch64 we use uefi which loads grub2  off a vfat partition, which
in turn has a XFS driver so this isn't an issue."
The uefi-part on these SBCs, does that not come from u-boot, which
either uses its own DTB, or loads a DTB from disk if it can? This DTB
is then in turn inherited by grub2 and the linux kernel.
By adding "devicetree ($root)/dtb/rockchip/rk3328-rock64.dtb" to
grub.cfg I was also able to work around the problem (as grub2 as you
pointed out can read XFS), so it really looks like that the DTB loaded
by/embedded in u-boot is the one being used.

Grapsing at straws, cannot really explain in any other way why to
boards always boot fine if the DTBs are located so that if u-boot
loads the, the kernel boot without problems, however else it does not.

And find it really strange that my rpi3 does not bott, but yours do.

BR,
Peter Hjalmarsson