Re: Raspberry Pi 3 B+ dmesg errors

Hi Felix,

Sorry for the late delay, some how this message hit my spam box.

> I managed to get Fedora 30 AARCH64 installed on a RPI 3B+ and it mostly runs great but I'm hitting a couple issues that I'm just not sure where to start looking.
>
> In order to make sure it's not the set of packages I'm installing, I brought up a second RPI 3B+ that runs the official minimal image. I installed all the same packages on the kicked system, that the minimal version has, so I don't have differences.

What doe you mean by "official minimal image"? Do you mean Fedora or Rasbian?

> 1. The NIC LED doesn't work after the installation. It works normally during kickstart. Connectivity is not affected. NIC LED works fine with the official image.
> 2. I get these messages in dmesg on a kicked system that are not poping up on the minimal image system:
> [    0.000000] CPU features: detected: Kernel page table isolation (KPTI)
> [    0.011655] arch_timer: WARNING: Invalid trigger for IRQ75, assuming level low
> [    0.011658] arch_timer: WARNING: Please fix your firmware
> [    1.887602] kvm [1]: Invalid trigger for vtimer IRQ76, assuming level low

Most of those can be ignored. In part it might depend on the answer to
the question above.

> 3. Looks like the model that is being detected is different for both systems (where does that come from? Does that have effects somewhere?):
> Minimal image:
> [    0.000000] Machine model: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
>
> Kickstart:
> [    0.000000] Machine model: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3

That message comes from the DT if it's provided by the firmware, which
would also explain some of the differences above.

> 4. The kickstarted system has an additional CPU feature that the minimal image system doesn't have (They should have the same CPU?)
> [    0.000000] CPU features: detected: Kernel page table isolation (KPTI)

Is there a kernel version difference?

> 5. There is a couple more differences like hci initialization and other things. Isn't this part of the kernel support? And the kernel is the same on both systems.

What does "uname -a" report? I suspect the difference here is the use
of the firmware provided DT vs kernel provided.

Do you have a symlink if you do a "ls -al /boot/dtb/" in both systems?