Re: Fedora 29 on Pinebook

Hi,

> I have a pinebook (running anarsoul's arch mainline[1]) and I was wondering if someone has tried Fedora 29 on the pinebook, or if it is even supported.

I don't know what you mean by "anarsoul's arch mainline" as there's
there appears to be bits there that aren't upstream in "mainline".

On Fedora 29 the pinebook will boot and run but you need to be using
the serial console which is accessible via the headphone jack, it
doens't make it overly usable as a laptop though.

This is improved with the current rawhide (which will become Fedora
30) in that the ATF/U-Boot firmware there will properly light up the
display so you can get text based console output.

> I've seen pine64-lts is[2], and I've been trying to create a build[3] based on some scripts on the pine64 discord channel but so far I have no idea on what I'm doing :)

So if you used the 2019.01 U-Boot build and updated the F-29 image to
at least the 4.20.x kernel you should have the basics of a working
device. If you're not sure what your doing I would actually use a
Fedora-30/Rawhide image.

The 4.20 kernel with the above U-Boot should light up the display
properly, it won't be accelerated though. The WiFi should work with
the next F-29 kernel update, but the 5.0 kernel will bring a number of
other improvements such as battery/charging support/monitoring and
sound as well as better backlight control and a number of other
features.

While Fedora 30 won't be perfect it should ultimately be relatively
usable with a desktop such as XFCE or Mate

Peter