Re: Raspberry Pi and its 7" display

> Hi Folks,
>         Longtime Fedora user here.  Last winter, I got a Raspberry Pi, and
> installed F28 on it.  Using the HDMI output, it works well.  Recently, I

Any reason for F-28 instead of F-29?

> picked up the Raspberry Pi 7" display (and case).  After hooking up the
> display to the Pi via the ribbon cable, I booted it up.
>
> The 7" display works well as the initial console, and I see all the
> usual messages go flying by.  At some point (when it decides to switch
> to graphics mode) the display goes blank.  Nothing on it.  I cannot
> switch even to a virtual console.  The new case blocks using the HDMI
> port, so I had to remove the Pi from the case (while leaving the ribbon
> cable attached to the display).  After plugging a monitor into the HDMI
> port, what I discovered was that the Pi boots using the display as
> console, then switches to the HDMI port for the X11 driver.  (not useful)

If you block the vc4 driver it will continue to work as a pure non
accelerated display, at the moment when the accelerated driver
initialises it can't detect the DSI attached display so it goes blank.
The support status is documented in the Fedora Raspberry Pi FAQ [1]

> How can I get the X11 display to come up on the 7" display in graphics
> mode.  What do I need?  A new xorg-x11-drv driver?  A newer kernel?

The Raspberry Pi doesn't have, nor will ever have a xorg driver. The
driver is a 3D mesa accelerated driver, the 2D support is via glamor
(2D over 3D) to mesa.

The upstream open source driver we use doesn't yet fully support the
touch screen display, I don't believe it's far off but upstream is yet
to finish the work to have it supported.

> I'd like to turn this into a MythTV server (with a USB capture) and use
> the display as a system console with the ability to watch videos on it.
> (Yeah, I'm aware that its only a 800x400 screen.)  Failing that, I'd
> like to use it in a "tablet" mode and get used to the touch screen
> interface.

Well when it's supported upstream it will be enabled.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Raspberry_Pi#Is_the_Raspberry_Pi_Touch_Display_supported.3F