Re: Fedora on mmc / cubieboard 2

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 2:54 AM Dennis Gilmore <dennis@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> El mié, 28-11-2018 a las 21:04 -0500, Robert Moskowitz escribió:
> >
> > On 11/26/18 2:30 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > > The support for that isn't upstream (and I'd never seen one with
> > > emmc)
> >
> > Peter,
> >
> > Is lack of NAND boot support a uboot or kernel issue?
> >
> > Can uboot be placed on NAND, and all the partitions on sata?
> >
> > And if so, how to put uboot properly on NAND.
> >
> > thanks
>
> LAst I looked there was no support in mainline linux or u-boot for the
> nand devices on allwinner devices. you would need to see what is
> missing from u-boot from using the nand and then use the standard u-
> boot ways to install u-boot to the nand after resolving the
> deficiencies.

The upstream MTD support in both linux and u-boot has improved greatly
recently, in the later case I believe as of 2018.11 it's mostly usable
but it's not been investigated in the Fedora context for U-Boot
because of time and priorities. From a running Fedora on the MTD
there's even less investigation because you basically need to build
device specific images on special filesytems.

>From a using it for U-Boot point of view it should be quite straight
forward to implement and document for Fedora if someone has the time
and inclination to do it, happy to provide direction and assist in
getting the resulting work into our processes but those that are
actively working on Fedora ARM just don't have the time to do it
themselves because it provides only a little return of that time
investment, there's so much else to do that provides a bigger impact
in general and the current way we support those devices works just
fine and is uniform across all AllWinner devices so much easier to
support.

Peter