Re: no hdmi audio on older tv

On 11/9/18 11:50 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 8:29 AM Jiri Vanek <jvanek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> So this is getting more and more funny.
>> None of your recommendations helped:(( bwd luck, bad thak you a lto anyway for brainstromign.
>>

>> I borrowed one of the  hdmi->Vga+jack boxes (I think it isi this one:
>> https://iczc.cz/dkqm7qdad2hnra334bu7igbro5_7/obrazek) and....
>>
>> Now fedora have audio, and raspbian no:D
>>
>> Considering how hdmi protocol works, I really think that fedroa simply tries newer communication
>> first (where to change this?) , but fallbeack do not work.  And raspbian is trying older
>> communication first, and fails to upgrade the communication.
>>

>> Obviously there is some little green goblin in the middle of the way in HDMI :(
>
> Have you tried a different HDMI cable? I've seen issues where people
> report problems and try a different cable and it's fine. There's

Yes. I tried four cables. Each of them on both TVs. Each behaved same for me. *however* factr that I
had tried several different cables, does not mean I used different type of cable.  they are very
likely  from same shop in my neighbourhood, likely same vendor and price level, just bought in
different times.

> completely different code paths between the upstream fully open stack
> that Fedora uses and Raspbian which uses the closed source proprietary
> driver where the firmware actually does quite a bit of the work.

I'm aware of this difference in view like "it exists". But do not know details of the difference
between proprietary and open implementation.
I was hoping for magical switch for HDMI, but looks lie there is none.

Thanx a lot!
  J.

>> On 11/1/18 8:02 PM, stan wrote:

>>> Here is the last 4.17 kernel for f29,
>>>
>>> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1088633
>>>
>>> You can try a *newer* kernel, the latest 4.18 kernel, 4.18-16
>>>
>>> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1154877
>>>
>>> or the first 4.19 kernel for 4.30.  It should work just fine on f29, I
>>> think, since I have been compiling it and running it on f28.
>>
>> I was allready told that for rPI rawhide is bringing many positive changes. So this may be one of
>> those. Will try later in the development cycle.
>>>
>>> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1155120
>>>
>>> Is there a reason you are using the 4.18-12 kernel?
>> Nothing particular. It was in stablw when I preapred the baord, and next udpate break networking. So
>> I turned back.
>>>
>>> Have you tried updating your system from the repositories since install?
>>>
>>> Here is an older version of alsa you can try.  There were two updates
>>> of alsa only for f29 and f30 after this, so it is a possible difference
>>> from f28.
>>>
>>> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1106034
>>>
>>> Download the binary rpms for the packages you have installed, then from
>>> the directory where they are type, as root,
>>>
>>> dnf -C downgrade [list of rpms]
>>>
>>> If this doesn't solve your problem, I'm stumped.  You should have sound.
>>>

>> thanx a lot!
>>   J.

Jiri Vanek
Senior QE engineer, OpenJDK QE lead, Mgr.
Red Hat Czech
jvanek@xxxxxxxxxx    M: +420775390109