Re: no hdmi audio on older tv

On 10/30/18 6:23 PM, stan wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 13:41:50 +0100
> Jiri Vanek <jvanek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I'm not familiar with hdmi, but I'll try to give you some ideas.
>
>> I have f29 (ernel kernel-4.18.12-300.fc29  ) on  machine, which is
>> changing its place from time to time - between two TVs. Old, and
>> older:)
>>
>> Both are connected by HDMI. Video output is fine, even acceleration
>> is working,  but sound work only on newer of those two.
>>
>> I don't know if this is regression, because this machine replaced 32b
>> rapbery2 with kodi, which was working without issues on both TVs (but
>> was eaten by (not mine) dog)
>
> Can you try an older version of the kernel?  Or alsa?  It sure sounds
> like a regression, but the audio information doesn't support that.  Just
> a check to be sure.

sure. will do. Just will tak e abit longer.

>> I was following
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_sound_problems but had
>> not found much:
>>  - with removed pulseaudio, the aplay -vv segfaults
>>      - I really on pulseaudio anyway, as I need to transfer sound to
>> this machine over network
>>
>>  - the diff of alsa-info.sh's is really minimal [1], only
>> [cite]
>> state.vc4hdmi {
>> 	control.1 {
>> 		iface PCM
>> 		name ELD
>> 		value '100007006712000100000000000000004c2d9d02
>> for non working and
>> 		value '100007006712000100000000000000004c2d9b03
>> for working
>> [/cite]
>
> If alsa didn't know about the interface for the failing device, it
> wouldn't be able to specify a control.  Are there any warnings or
> errors in the journal during boot, or when trying to play?
>>
>>   - when alsamixer is opened, then the default looks like working,
>> and the job on old tv; but not do nothing older tv.
>>   - when alsamixer -c0 is opened, then the  vc4-hdmi reports no
>> control for selected device for *both* tvs (which is same as f6 and
>> selecting vc4-hdmi)
>>
>> Does anybody have a clue what to try?
>
> Great troubleshooting report, very complete.
>
> Is it possible that you changed a setting on the older TV that isn't
> working?  Because, like you said, it *should* be working.

nope. both raspbian and kodi still keeps playing.

> What happens if you just use an audio player to send only audio to the
> older TV from the command line?  Maybe try such with debugging enabled.
> Or look in the logs to see if it complains about anything.
>
> e.g. mplayer -vv [audio-file]
> or
> mplayer -vv -novideo [video-file]

I play only from commandline - aplay - and it prints no otput. it behaves corrctly as if it s been
playing.  Will try to get more debug output here.

> Since the hdmi is the only device, it should route to the TV to play.
> I think.
>
> If there are no errors and it acts like it is playing, that really
> points to the older TV having an issue.

Jiri Vanek
Senior QE engineer, OpenJDK QE lead, Mgr.
Red Hat Czech
jvanek@xxxxxxxxxx    M: +420775390109