Re: Miserable performance F29-beta-Xfce vs F28-Xfce

On 10/6/18 7:36 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 10:20 PM Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10/5/18 2:54 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
Also the XFCE Spin rebased from 4.12 which was GTK2 based to 4.13 [1]
which is GTK3 based because GTK2 is ancient and not really maintained
anymore other than the occasional security or bug fix (if it even gets
that these days). The xfce 4.13 release is also a development release
on the way to the 4.14 stable release so it quite possibly could have
issues but overall GTK3 is more reliant on and expects more HW
acceleration so I'm not surprised about your experience at all. It's
also the reason I don't recommend AllWinner based devices to people
that wish to do GUI stuff, their best used for server/headless use
cases.
I am looking at the BananaPi M2 Ultra with its quad core, 2GB mem, and
native sata.  Plus affordable for my budget.  They are going to be for
servers, so the Mali GPU should not be at issue.
Looks like there's reasonable support for it upstream although a quick
look I don't yet see ATA support, not sure of the status there.

ATA support?  I think I just got lost in acronym land.  If you mean for the sata interface, where can I ask to pursue this?  I know I really need a quad core for a mail server, particularly once I start using DKIM.

Or about quad boards that will boot the OS from USB to sata interface?

Other than I have a mess of Cubieboards, which one works better as a
desktop unit.
Do you mean desktop support for Cubieboards or any device in general?

In general.  Looking for affordable boards for desktop systems in general.  That includes good HD (or SSD) support.

Like if I want to set up for my sister to plug into her TV and use a wireless mouse and keyboard.

One difference I note is F28 has a swap partition, F29 does not. Now
during the initial stuff, no swap was used.  Now I see 29KB of swap used
with 86KB memory free.
So we use zram for swap in F-29, it preserves the mSD card due to
wear, and is much faster, this isn't the problem. Basically up to a
max of 50% of the RAM will be allocated to swap using lz4 compression
and we generally see a 4-5 times compression ratio.
How can I 'see' my swap partition?  Free shows a 487304B swap with none
used.  Yet.

Nothing in fstab.  Guess I better read up on zram.
It's created as part of the zram-swap service. The swapon (no options)
will show swap details, the zramctl cmd (no options) will show you
size, utiliation, compression ratios etc.

Good.  I will look into this Monday when I boot everything back up. Got the Honeydo patch to work in on Sunday.  :)