Re: Cubietruck wifi

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 12:34 AM Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Interesting observation.
>
> With the latest uboot (2018.09) and Fedora 29-beta-Xfce
>
> No wifi.  Nothing shows when I do 'ip a'
>
> BUT...
>
> Same uboot, but the Centos7 image:
>
> CentOS-Userland-7-armv7hl-generic-GNOME-1804-sda
>
> There is the wifi interface.  The Gnome install asks me if I want to
> connect to any of the visible SSIDs.
>
> How did the Centos arm team get this to work and not Fedora?  :)
>
> Really not so important RIGHT now, as my CT is for a Centos server. I am
> only planning on running Fedora on Cubieboard2 which do not have their
> own embedded wifi.
>
> Just a data point for now.

We don't ship it because 1) it's not upstream in the Linux kernel or
linux-firmware 2) the information currently can't be redistributed
legally, for a couple of reasons. This is the same issue on the
Raspberry Pi and a number of other devices with broadcom chips. The
file that CentOS has now doubt chosen to ship is device specific but
linux currently deals with it generically so if another device has the
same wifi model with things like clocks/crystals and other settings
that are device or regional specific. This could cause random things
like actual wifi that shows up but doesn't work, it could actually
break the user's device or get the user in trouble for using
power/frequencies that are out of range. So the general stance of
Fedora is not do things like that and I'd much sooner a user not
having working wifi than cooking their device or  getting them in
trouble with authorities.

All of the above being said I am working with a number of individuals
both within Red Hat and other organisations (this has literally taken
3+ years) to get this problem resolved and we're nearing the end game.
I don't have a specific timeframe but "Real Soon Now" is what I'm
hoping, the Raspberry Pi will be fist in the list to be resolved and
the rest should follow on not far behind, people's time pending.

Peter