Re: Cubietruck no VGA - Fedora-Xfce-armhfp-29_Beta-1.2-sda

On 9/17/18 12:14 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
On 9/15/18 8:33 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 6:21 PM Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I pulled out my test Cubietruck and set up the F29 beta.

I plugged the VGA into my KVM and powered up.  When it got to the GUI
part, the system hung.  I unplugged the VGA and plugged in the HDMI.  No
change.

I powered cycled and with the HDMI pluggd in, I got into Initial Setup
and things progressed well from there.

After a bit with the HDMI, I unplugged it and plugged in the VGA.
Nothing.  Switched back to HDMI and it worked.

I seem to recall some previous work, maybe F24, of having VGA working.
Memory is cobwebally.

Is VGA support in the uboot for Cubietruck?  Or is this some other problem?
I don't believe VGA is supported in either u-boot or linux on that device

I went to http://linux-sunxi.org/Cubietruck

And it seems that VGA support is there.  But it is not clear what I have
to do with the current kernel.

Do I push the FEL button then do something?  When do I push the FEL button?
The docs there is for the downstream old, probably 3.x, kernel. FEL is
something similar to DT but non interoperable and none of the bits
mentioned are upstream. Support in the upstream mainline kernel, and
hence Fedora, doesn't exisit. You are of course free to build your own
kernel.

Build my own kernel?  Bad move on my part.  I spent $20 at my local Micro Center (could have spent less on ebay if I had been willing to wait) and got an HDMI to VGA converter to plug into my KVM.   Works fine.  Plus it will work for my Cubieboard2 as well.

Thanks for looking into this, Peter.