Re: Prevent Raspberry Pi U-Boot from listening to UART?

>> From the prompt you should be able to types "boot" and it should
>> continue to boot.
>

> There won't normally be a keyboard on the machine, and I need it to recover
> from power failures.

Sure, my point is that there's a means to make it continue.

>> > followed by lots of garbage (presumably due to baud rate mismatch).
>>
>> Or the GPS already sending NMEA data.
>

> It's sending NMEA data, but U-Boot sees it as garbage, presumably due to
> baud rate mismatch.

The speed mismatch is irrelevant here, U-Boot is looking for some
input IE press any key and it'll interrupt boot, it could be valid
NMEA data at the right speed and it'll do the same.

>> > Is there any easy way to get U-Boot to not listen to the UART?
>>
>> Off hand I'm not sure, there was a patch set that did auto enable
>> based on the what the firmware reported.
>

> I was hoping that there was a configuration option that could be set
> somewhere (maybe in a text file in the boot partition) to tell U-Boot not to
> open the serial port at all.

Not that I'm aware of off hand, although it's not a feature I've been
asked about so I could have missed it. A quick grep through the
upstream U-Boot logs and I get [1], you might want to email the u-boot
list to see if it could be tweaked. I, with my Raspberry Pi on Fedora
maintainers hat on, don't have the time to chase this at the moment
but would be happy to assist where I can and of course will accept
patches. i work on the RPi in Fedora in my own time and it already
takes up a significant amount of the little spare time I have.

Peter

[1] http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=commit;h=55b8a2ddaae407c8e9b4afe5cf33f848f0c4f49f