Re: Exactly how slow is Fedora 27 on an RP3 ? dnf update takes hours ?

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 11:55 AM, linux guy <linuxguy123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> The update just completed.   It took 8 hours.  The transaction required
> Installing 32 packages, upgrading 275 packages and skipping 2 packages.
> Ironically, a new update just became available as I write this !
>
> I took pictures of the transaction and top screens with my phone if anyone
> wants to see them.
>
> I ask that someone test updating a fresh install on an RPi3 to see what they
> get.

It's not the fastest in the world but I've not seen it that slow.

I use either Samsung EVO or Sandisk cards, I've had problems with
Kingston in the past so don't waste my time with them any more.

dnf itself will be slow in the beginning because of the requirements
to process a lot of XML data and that is slow. We're working to remove
this from client side, that will take time.

We've improved mmc speed a lot from the original supported release in
F-25, as someone said F-26 was better and F-27 is certainly no slower
than prior releases.

There should be improved speed for MMC in general in 4.16 which will
be the GA kernel for F-28. I'm hoping we'll have some other speed
improvements in F-28 around the RPi as well but that will depend on my
time available to work on some of that functionality.

Peter