Re: Raspberry pi3 as part of a dock?

Hello Zoltan,

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Zoltan Hoppar <hopparz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have seen many times a solution, where HP, and others are selling a type
> of dock that provides keyboard, mouse, and keyboard - so I can use as a full
> blown desktop pc.
>
> I am thinking lately as I have a RSpi3 that would be worthy to try... As
> everybody has stronger and stronger phones, making Rspi3 as host server with
> eth0, 4 usb, and hdmi would be more than interesting... Yet I think using
> Fedora as desktop for me would be more pleasing, so technically I really
> would like to target a drop-in charging usb dock/host/server POD... that
> syncing all my files, on usb I can plug an external drive, charging my
> phone, and gives a desktop, possibly android or fedora...

You want to use Rpi3 as home nas/cloud? If yes it is possible, there
is eve out of the box projects
for example like Nextcloud box p[1], but the seems to use other host
os on rpi, but it is possible to mimic features
with Fedora onboard and nextcloud instaleld on top.

> My question would be the following:
>
> - How much would be this usable?
> - How much would be this reliable?

Imho it is usable and reliable depends on exact features you require.

> - Do I need an unlocked phone for this?

I use close to that scheme wit rpi and old and inexpensive android
phone, it even dont have google framework,
without unlock, but phone probably even not locked, as all personal
cloud client software opensource and available
from various trusted sources.

[1] - https://nextcloud.com/box/

> --
> PGP:  06853DF7