Re: Questions for building RPMs for armel and armfp

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 2:51 PM, fedora_arm
<fedora_arm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>     Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ.  But I can't seem to find concrete
> answers to what seem like relatively common questions.
>
> The problem we have is the need to build current Fedora SRPMs for armel and possibly
> armhf.  We have an embedded product using an ARM926EJ-S core and another using a
> Cortex-A9.  Constraints dictate the RPMs to be built under in-house control and we're
> trying to understand the path of least resistance and greatest reusability as Fedora
> ARM moves forward.

Fedora hasn't supported anything less than ARMv7 (armhfp) since Fedora 18.

> - So the first fundamental question is to what degree current Fedora SRPM content
>   supports cross platform builds on an x86_64 host?  This would be our first
>   preference though it isn't clear to what extent the core project infrastructure
>   supports this, if at all.

No, we don't support cross compiling anything except the kernel.
There's lots of complexity in dealing with cross compiling and there's
code that's run during the builds that needs to run on the actual
architecture that's not actually compiling.

> - Beyond cross builds infrastructure support is the question of what degree SRPMs
>   themselves support cross platform builds.  This being an embedded platform, runtime
>   needs are minimal (no graphics, no heavy scripting languages, applications, etc..
>   So we're not faced with building a conventional workstation class RPM userland content.

I don't understand what you mean by that statement/question.

> - My impression however is while some off-shoot efforts of Fedora ARM do build cross
>   platform, the main project release builds native on an ARM host.  Moreover on bare metal
>   ARM vs. an ARM VM for efficiency.  Is this correct?  If so what are our options for
>   a build host Fedora ARM distribution at the present?  Eg is a 32-bit ARM distro

The Fedora infrastructure runs 32 bit VMs as builders running on 64
bit hardware.

>   install required or will a 64-bit ARM install (eg: v8) be able to build SRPMs for
>   armel and armhf?  The latter seems to be approaching a cross platform build, depending
>   upon what is available in a 64-bit Fedora ARM install now, and in the near future.

aarch64 is quite a bit different to ARMv7 in terms of instructions so
we don't support a multilib style env like x86_64/i686 does.