Re: Performance on Rpi 2/ 3 : What should our expectations be?

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 12:18 AM, fred-b <fredoche@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for porting fedora on the rpi 2/3 . To my knowledge it's the first classic distribution to run on this device without any compromise made to the OS components and build process.
> I however would like to ask if the current desktop performance is at its best. I know that the device has only 1gb of RAM and slow I/O, and I think I recall that raspbian performance was, let's say, average as well due to this, even when using XFCE (or was it mate?).

So the first thing to note is that it's a $35 device...

> Are you aware of optimizations present on raspbian that are not yet present on fedora for rpi? And is there hope for some of them to be available someday?

There's quite likely optimisations on raspbian not on Fedora. They run
a massively forked kernel and a proprietary binary GPU driver stack.
We have no interest in either of those and it's not actually really
possible to compare the two in a useful fashion.

There is certainly room to improve on the Fedora stack, our initial
focus was to get a release that worked reasonable well for most use
cases and was generally complete, if we waited for perfection we would
never ship anything, nor would you have anything to look forward to!!
So what we have is a generally complete decent user experience for
most use cases. There is not things like sound or media offload
acceleration which will provide a performance boost for that use case.
I've already pushed a patch that helps graphics performance (over
double) in some scenarios. There's more I'm aware of that will be
headed upstream and I know a couple of different people that are
looking at various ways of analyzing various components in general for
performance (not specifically for the Pi but will benefit it).

But like everything it takes time and resources (human and otherwise)
to achieve and there's no timeline for any of it. Some most definitely
will arrive soon, some at some point in the future. In all cases it
will depend on the particular use case.

The best way I've found to add performance to a Pi is to get a decent SD card.

Peter