Re: armhf dnf is not working on aarch64 kernel

On 2016-04-27 14:09, Chanho Park wrote:
Hi Peter,

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Chanho Park <parkch98@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hi all,

I want to use the armhf fedora rootfs on the aarch64 bit kernel.

You can't, it's not a use case we support.

Why not? All arm binaries can be runnable on aarch32 mode of aarch64
kernel.

When I ran the dnf command on the armhf image with aarch64 kernel,
the
dnf command was failed with below error.

dnf -v install mesa
cachedir: /var/cache/dnf
DNF version: 1.1.6
Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'rpmfusion-free-updates' from

'http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-updates-released-22&arch=aarch64':
Cannot prepare internal mirrorlist: No URLs in mirrorlist,
disabling.
repo: using cache for: fedora
not found updateinfo for: Fedora 22 - aarch64
repo: using cache for: updates
not found deltainfo for: Fedora 22 - aarch64 - Updates
not found updateinfo for: Fedora 22 - aarch64 - Updates

Actually, armhf binaries/rootfs can be executed even aarch64
kernel(fully compatible with armhf).
Maybe the dnf command tries to find its repo from uname call.
$ uname -m
aarch64

The rpm install was also failed because fedora doesn't have any
rpm
platform file
So, I added below file. It is able to install armhf rpm file even
aarch64 kernel.

cat /etc/rpm/platform
armv7hl-fedora-linux-gnu

The question is 'how can I run 'dnf' command on armhf fedora with
aarch64 kernel?'

No, the ARMv7 and aarch64 ABI aren't compatible, the only way we
support ARMv7 on aarch64 is via virtualisation. We will not be
supporting this or a "multilib" usecase.

The aarch64 kernel can execute both aarch64 and aarch32(fully
compatible armv7) binaries. For example, the kernel of raspberry pi 3
is aarch64 and fedora arm version can't run on rpi3. Even all binaries
can run on it but only dnf command can't do that.

I can confirm that armv7hl (and armv5tel) userspace DOES work in
a chroot on aarch64 provided you use a sensible kernel (specifically
meaning that it uses 4KB memory pages rather than 64KB memory pages).
I am running CentOS 7 armv7hl in a chroot and LXC/docker containers
on CentOS 7 aarch64 (with aarch64 kernel configured for 4KB pages
and backward compatibility enabled).

So if the above doesn't work (with /etc/rpm/platform configured),
it has to be considered a bug.

Gordan