Re: Changing Partition UUIDs

On 12/28/2015 07:44 PM, Mandar Joshi wrote:
This is in continuation to the discussion on changing the partition
UUIDs on a fresh install of a Fedora 22 ARM install using the
changeuuid.py script in RootFS Build Factory.
Links:

You need to follow up from this message
https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/arm-dev/2015-December/001478.html

I know its a bit unusual to change mailing lists but I thought that if
we were discussing a Fedora Image, we should do so on a Fedora mailing
list.

I will explain a bit about what we have stumbled on over on Centos-arm that impacts the Fedora-arm images.

Basically it came about me realizing the obvious that all systems would have the same UUIDs for the partitions and asking if that was a problem.

Karanbir contributed that this is a problem stating:

"this is a bad idea, it means you cant ( or will haveto do some work )
if you ever intend to share media. onprem, lesser issue ( likely only
when disaster recovery is involved ), but this is a much bigger issue
in offprem, where block device mobility is part of the larger picture
and taken for granted.

so, we should fix it."

So we have been looking in how to alter the UUID of the 3 partitions after the image is dd to the media. I did some initial testing, and Mandar has contributed our first script for this. I would see for Fedora-arm, this functionality being added to fedora-arm-installer script.

Any and all help you can provide for this should make it better for all.

thank you