Re: failed to build kernel-4.2.0-300.fc23.src.rpm on armv7hl

>>> Hello Guys
>>>
>>> @jforbes
>>>
>>> I tried to compile the latest kernel-4.2.0-300.fc23.src.rpm on armv7hl
>>> for
>>> bananapi , and got the following error :
>>>
>>> warning: 1 line adds whitespace errors.
>>> Applying: drm/vmwgfx: Allow dropped masters render-node like access on
>>> legacy nodes v2
>>> Applying: workqueue: Make flush_workqueue() available again to non GPL
>>> modules
>>> Patch does not have a valid e-mail address.
>>> error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.NoJw7i (%prep)
>>
>> The patches apply fine for me for that NVR. A "fedpkg prep" applies
>> them all fine, the format of the workqueue patch also looks fine to
>> me. You might need to provide more context.
>>
>> Peter
>
> Hello Peter,
>
> I did a bit of digging last night to find out where it was failing . The
> error comes from my patch that I add for the lamobo R1 b53 drivers . I did
> not realise at first that the kernel.spec was completely re-written, and
> works differently now with 4.2 . My 'amateur' patch did not have the proper
> git formatting (no mail , no id's) . This brings me to a question , is there
> a nice elegant way of adding home-made patches that are not git-ed to the
> kernel source now ? Before I just defined it like all the other ones in the
> Patch Definition and Patch Application sections of the spec . For this one
> to make it run I had to do a quick hack and put in "patch -p1 <
> kernel.patch" into the spec . I can see that not all patches that people
> make will be git-worthy .

Most people do kernel development against some kernel get check out,
it takes seconds to create a local branch and do patches against that.
Anything we carry within Fedora has the expectation of either coming
from upstream or is in a state it will go upstream both of which
require git compatible patches so it was decided that thew minor
inconvenience of forcing that vs the convenience of git was worth the
trade off so not really, at least that I'm aware of.

Peter