Re: Not working as advertised - Re: System time

On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 08:51:17AM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> OH?!?  I am running F22 with Xfce, last updated Aug 23.  So whatever is in
> there wrt systemd-timesyscd and chronyd is what was in the image orginally
> plus whatever happened when I did the date/time config in the graphic
> configurator as part of the install (I go in and change my city from NYC to
> Detroit).  A quick check shows:

> So it seems both are present, but only chronyd is running.

The chrony package is installed by default and the time configuration
tool is enabling/disabling the chronyd service (via timedatex). To
start timesyncd on boot you can either run "systemctl disable chronyd"
and "systemctl enable timesyncd", or uninstall the chrony and
timedatex packages and disable and enable the NTP checkbox again in
the time config.

> I made these changes.  In /etc/chrony.conf I now have:
>
> # Enable kernel synchronization of the real-time clock (RTC).
> #rtcsync
> rtcdevice /dev/nonexist
>
> I commented out the rtcsync line, given you told me to add the nonexist
> line.  Hope that is correct.

That shouldn't matter, if there is no battery for the RTC, there is
probably no point in trying to keep the RTC synchronized.

> Perhaps these settings should be standard in our armv7 builds?  Or an easy
> option to set them.  A check box for 'no rtc' on that configurator?

Maybe anaconda could do that. How common is to have a Fedora ARM
machine without an RTC and how common it is to have an RTC, but no
battery?

There is also a possibility to restore the time from a file in a
separate service, without having to run an NTP client. On Debian,
it's done by the fake-hwclock service. For Fedora there seems to be a
Copr repo with it. I didn't try it.

https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/jorti/fake-hwclock/

--
Miroslav Lichvar