Re: GPIO support

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 4:53 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Where do we stand wrt gpio support and where are there instructions?

Linux has a generic GPIO stack, the general use of them is the same
and general instructions and libraries are useful no matter what the
device. The mappings and what is exposed for the user's use is
obviously device specific.

> Latest discussion on this was on 1/23/15 and for BBB.  I want it on
> Cubieboards.

Have you tried looking for the Cubie specific details of the GPIOs on
their site/wiki?

> Trying to decide which way to go with control systems.  The esp8266 is very
> interesting and cheap as an alternative of doing gpio directly on my system.

Well I've had reports of people using GPIO successfully on a number of
devices. Other than device specific layours and mapping, and that's
distro agnostic so probably better maintained on the device's wiki,
there's nothing particularly device specific about GPIO on Linux.

For actually programming them I'd probably use something like Node-RED
[1], not sure if it's actually packaged in Fedora (it's been on my
long list of things to look at) but if not you should be able to get
it via npm.

Peter

[1] http://nodered.org/