Re: u-boot plans for Fedora 22 ?

Hi,

On 05/01/2015 03:56 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
Hi,

<snip>

I have to take this back, it seems that this build is appending:

" console=ttyS0,115200"

To the kernel cmdline, I've just double-checked and this is not upstream
behavior, is this being done by Fedora specific patches ?

This breaks kernel output and systemd status messages output on
tty0 / the hdmi output, resulting in a blackscreen until gdm
starts.

As discussed a while back, the proper way to do is set
stdout-path in the devicetree to the serial console, then the
kernel will automatically make it a second console, next to tty0
and output messages on both, and systemd will output messages
and spawn gettys on both too.

This in my testing is not working unless i add console=ttySO,115200 to the
bootargs I get nothing out at all on the serial port, though in u-boot it had
stdin as serial and stdout as vga.  what are all the possible options and how
should things just work? the current patch is not a regression for Fedora.  I
want to make things just work for all.

Upstream u-boot is already setting stdout-path for all sunxi
devices, so from a sunxi pov the appending of " console=ttyS0,115200"
is a regression. If this is done for some other boards, it would
be better to either patch those boards dts files to set stdout-path,
or u-boot to set stdout-path rather then appending " console=ttyS0,115200"
and breaking video output. If you can tell me which specific boards
need work here I can whip up a patch (for others to test).

We should patch all boards to be the same. but it needs to work.

The sunxi boards have a line like this in their upstream include/configs/board.h file:

#define OF_STDOUT_PATH          "/soc/serial@07000000:115200"

With the correct version of that present and using a 4.0 kernel you should
get output on both the serial console and a vga/hdmi out without needing
to specify any console= argument.

Regards,

Hans