Re: A10s-OlinuXino-MICRO with Rawhide

Hi,

On 02/07/2015 05:07 PM, Craig Lanning wrote:
On Sat, 2015-02-07 at 09:33 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
Hi,

On 02/07/2015 12:32 AM, Craig Lanning wrote:
Does Rawhide have any code to deal with the LDC panel for Olimex boards
(Allwinner A10s CPU)?

I thought I saw somewhere that it has some early support for the LCD
panel.

I downloaded the Xfce rawhide image (in hopes that it would use the
LCD), wrote it to an SD card, installed the uboot image, and booted it.

It started running through its boot messages on the console.  Asked me
the Setup questions.  Finally it continued to a login prompt on the
console.  I logged in and can use the console.  I looked through the
output from "dmesg" but didn't see anything about the LCD.

I have a 7 inch LCD (800x480) and an HDMI port that I could hook to an
HD monitor (1920x1080).  I am glad that even though I used a "graphical"
image, when it didn't find a display device, it used the console.

Was I mistaken about it doing anything with the LCD panel, or is there
some additional configuration that I need to do for it to work?

If it doesn't support the LCD, does it support the HDMI port?

Rawhide as of today supports the hdmi port with 1024x768, once
rawhide gets u-boot v2015.04-rc1 it will also support EDID and use
your monitors native resolution.

The LCD will work, but you need to build your own u-boot:

dnf install gcc-arm-linux-gnu
git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/u-boot-sunxi.git
cd u-boot-sunxi
git checkout -B sunxi-wip origin/sunxi-wip

Then edit configs/A10s-OLinuXino-M_defconfig and configs/A13-OLinuXino_defconfig
in the latter you will find a number of CONFIG_VIDEO_LCD_... lines in there,
copy those over to the configs/A10s-OLinuXino-M_defconfig file.

Then replace CONFIG_VIDEO_LCD_POWER="AXP0-0" with
CONFIG_VIDEO_LCD_POWER="PB9"

And then do the following to build / install:

make -j4 CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- A10s-OLinuXino-M_defconfig
make -j4 CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu-
sudo dd if=u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1024 seek=8

You will also need an updated dtb, I've attached it for you, simply
drop the .dtb file into the dtb-3.... dir on the boot partition.

After this u-boot should light up the lcd showin the u-boot tux
on gray waterdrop background and some boot messages, and the kernel
should take over the lcd framebuffer.

When I booted the board, it lit up the LCD, displayed the Linux logo,
displayed some text like it was booting.  This text appeared to match
what was being displayed on the console.  When the console showed this:

    Setting up a 800x480 lcd console
    In:    serial
    Out:   vga
    Err:   vga
    Net:   emac
    Starting USB...
    USB0:

The LCD went blank and the whole board seemed to freeze.

Any ideas?

Only thing I can think of is that the power supply for the board is
not powerful enough, how are you powering the board ?

Incidentally, earlier in the boot sequence it printed this:

    CPU:   Allwinner A10s (SUN5I)
    I2C:   ready
    DRAM:  512 MiB
    MMC:   SUNXI SD/MMC: 0, SUNXI SD/MMC: 1
    *** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

Is this from me overwriting parts of the SD card without updating its
idea of the CRC?

The bad CRC message is normal, u-boot can save its environment to the
sdcard, so you can do:

set foo bar
saveenv

And from then on the u-boot env. variable foo will be set to var on boot,
until you do a saveenv, the area of the sdcard reserved for the env contains
a non valid env and you get this warning. I usually try to stay away
from save env, as I want to test things with u-boot default env.

Regards,

Hans