Re: Banana Pi R1 on fedora 21

> I have bought a Banana Pi R1 board with a plan to use it as my gateway
> server/router and to replace a full-size PC which was doing the job until
> now . It has , beside the regular banana hardware , a SATA interface and
> most importantly 5 Ethernet ports (1 wan connection and 4 LAN connections) .
> My plan is to make it a router/firewall server as well as
> ods-and-ends,print,http,file etc... machine . I was pleased to see that
> Fedora 21 supports banana pi straight out of the box , so I rushed out and
> installed the minimal version . All was good as far as getting the banana r1
> booted and talking , however one crucial part does not work at the moment .
> And that is wired networking , it seems that the drivers are not working or
> are missing. I have been able to get it connected via an old USB-Ethernet
> adapter which was recognised immediately. Can you please help in getting the
> networking working , I can assist in providing prints , compiling software .
> Any assistance is much appreciated .

So the original Banana Pi also has a SATA port, the only real
difference is the ethernet.

The ethernet isn't really 5 ethernet ports at all. It's a single
gigabit ethernet port on the ARM device attached to a 6 port ethernet
switch which is then labelled as 4 LAN, 1 WAN with the 6th port being
the port attached to the actual ARM SoC Gig ethernet port.

How are you booting it? Are you following the instructions for the
Banana Pi and using the Banana Pi device tree? If so I suspect you can
see the single ethernet interface using ethtool but not actually get
connectivity. I'm not sure how the on board switch is controlled, it's
likely by i2c or GPIO of some sort which will be used to tell it to
power up and actually to configure VLANs etc to get the LAN/WAN
specific config.

Peter