Re: Installing on a Hard Drive

On 08/19/2014 04:24 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 15:57:01 -0400
Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 08/19/2014 03:08 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 14:18:29 -0400
Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a couple SATA drives I would like to test booting from.  Is
there anything special I need to do, or can I 'just' attach with a
USB/SATA adapter, run the install script (and the Cubieboard2 uboot
dd command), and boot?

Once I figure out the right power connector, I will be using some
IDE drives on an IDE/SATA adapter as well.
really the best way to install to sata is to put u-boot on a sdcard
and boot the machine. you should have dhcp setup and configure pxe
   booting. then just do an install using anaconda.
OK.  all new to me.

Are you talking about the interactive network installation presented
at:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Rawhide/Installation#Interactive_Network_Installation
yes, it is the preferred way to install Fedora on most systems

??

Or something more specialized?

I can put the Cubieboard2 upboot on with:

dd if=/root/u-boot-sunxi/u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/sdb
bs=1024 seek=8; sync

I have dhcp on my network, do I have to do anything on the SDcard to
support it?

For the anaconda install.  No video on the Cubieboard, I only have
serial console and ssh.

And PXE booting.  Are you saying that I am not installing to the
drive, but booting all the time from the network?

Confused here...  :)
Please do not CC me on list email.

Sorry. This is one of those lists when you click reply in thunderbird, you get sender and list. I will pay better attention; each list acts differently.

I am talking about pxe booting the installer to install to disk.

you can do anaconda installs via vnc or serial.  the u-boot should just
work and defualt to pxe when it cant boot locally

I will give it a try.

thanks.