Re: Audio in Fedora 20 ARM

On Mon, 2014-07-07 at 08:33 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 12:33 AM, Craig Lanning
> <craig.t.lanning@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I bought an Olimex A10S-OlinuXino-MICRO because it had a line in audio
> > port.  (I want to use the device to do audio recording from a mixing
> > board.)
> >
> > I became very excited when I found that there was a disk image
> > specifically for the Allwinner boards since I use Fedora on my machines
> > at home.  I became a little less excited when I read that only audio
> > output is supported.  It looks like reading from the line in audio port
> > is not supported.
> >
> > Did I understand correctly?  What is the reason for this?
>
> Got a link to where you read this?

Actually, what I read was on a page for the A10 board.  It said that
output to analog audio and HDMI audio was supported.  Really the only
thing to conclude is that analog audio in had not been tested.

I hooked the board up to a tape deck and attempted to record with
Audacity and it failed.  (My actual reason for thinking that is isn't
supported.)

> Ultimately there's no particular reason. It could be that the upstream
> kernel driver doesn't support it yet, or there's not the glue in the
> DeviceTree. The Fedora 20 remix, the one I assume you're referring to,
> is based on a very old 3.4.x kernel series. Rawhide, which should
> support this device with an appropriate uboot, has the 3.16 kernel
> which supports this device which might have what you're after.

I will look more carefully at the instructions for rebuilding the Remix
and see if I can set it up to use the kernel from rawhide.  I need to
set up for rebuilding anyway so that I can make sure the image has what
I need without the stuff I don't need.

> Ultimately I suggest testing it and seeing how you get on. The
> AllWinner device support is fairly fast moving and there's literally
> 100s of them with all sorts of configurations and it's impossible to
> test all combinations of use cases. It'll be easier to work out what's
> missing once you have the base install on there.
>
> Peter

Thanks for your quick answer.  I noticed that AllWinner support is being
added to QEMU ARM, too.

Craig