Re: Best hardware for Fedora/ARM Audio "Server"?

On 05/15/2014 04:46 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
Hi,

Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

IIRC DreamPlug also has optical audio port.
True, but it's a v5, isn't it?  That's not supported at all.

One thing to consider is CPU generation. Don't know about Wandaboard,
but Pi is ARMv6 and Trimslice is ARMv7.

AFAIK support for everything before ARMv7 has been dropped from Fedora.
Yes, but there is PiDora, which is a respin for v6.  However you're
right that something like the Wandboard is more powerful.  Looks like I
can get a Wandboard Solo + Case + Power for about $100, not quite double
the cost of the RPi for about 2x the performance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261454339350?lpid=82

$80 and you can get a 5v 2amp power for less than $20 and you have 1Gb memory.

I compared specs of the Wandboard to Cubieboard some time ago and have been more focused on the Cubie. Like I said, I will order one next week when I am home. But will find a local 3D printer to make a case that can also hold a drive.

One thing that has come up on the cubieboard list is NAND and SD failure for the OS. Conversation there is if you want a production box, move your OS to a real drive.

OSs like Fedora are doing too much I/O on a regular basis to rely on anything less. I have some experience with this on an old Asus ee700 with only 8Gb SSD and having to put much of the system on an SD. /var and swap on the SSD and STILL I would loose the SD card part.