Re: Best hardware for Fedora/ARM Audio "Server"?

On 05/14/2014 09:44 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
Hey All,

I'm looking to build a Fedora-ARM-based Audio server (actually several
of them).  The idea is that I would plug the ARM box into my network and
connect it to an amp to drive speakers, and then run something like
Shairport on the device in order to send audio to different zones in my
house.  Why Fedora?  Well, I like it!  :)

Hey, Derek!

Look at:  http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=cubieboard

For people that have built cases for Cubieboard2 and particularly:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:151160

I am thinking this for a NAS etc box.

If you go with the Cubietruck, the Ewell case posted on cubieboard.org not only supports the 2.5 drive, but also a battery if you want!

My current plan (goal?) is to use the onboard analog audio output, not
TOSlink or a USB DAC device.  I would plug the audio output directly
into the amp to power the zone speakers.

See: http://docs.cubieboard.org/products/start for specs. The Cubieboard2 has analog audio and also HDMI (but I don't know if audio is included).

So here's my question for you: What's the best hardware platform for the
money to solve this?  (I.e., what's the cheapest solution that works
"well"?)  In my little bit of research I've boiled it down to a
Raspberry Pi, Wandboard, or Trimslice.  Of course the RaspPi appears to
be by far the least expensive of the three ($60 for a full system
including case, power, and SD Card), but if the other options are
significantly better in terms of performance and audio quality, they may
be worth the additional cost.

RPi is a v5 and needs remixes. I have been told many times to go with a V7 board.

So here I am asking the experts....

I am not an expert, but have been asking them here for some time. I will actually buy a Cubie2 next week to get started.

THough I would REALLY like to have a 4 port ethernet board for it so I can do router/firewall as well...