Re: F21 disk image idea

El Wed, 08 Jan 2014 14:16:55 -0800
Brendan Conoboy <blc@xxxxxxxxxx> escribió:
> Hi everybody,
>
> There are two significant issues with the disk images in F20 that I
> would like to address in F21:
>
> 1. Duplicate disk images with and without a VFAT partition.  This
> doubles QA load and can confuse end users.

I agree we need to drop the double images

> 2. Unlike x86 spins, images aren't always ready to be used after
> they're written to storage.  Instead, uboot bits need to be copied
> into place using a specific method.  This is unintuitive and prone to
> user error.

This all needs to be wrapped in a tool to do the image customisation.
we had a good start to it previously. We need someone interested to
pick it up and run with it. the handling of setting up the card needs
to happen for the user. I think I fixed the bug causing extlinux.conf
to not be generated. I may need to build the fix. This is a great
opportunity for someone to work on something.

I think your ideas for images are inherently horrible and should not be
persued. For one any content on the boot partition is not in the rpm
database at all, two it would need for a whole new set of composing
tools to be written. We would need to produce a massive list of
image combinations to be used. the images we produce should work out
of the box on any system that provides u-boot.  however some vendors
have horribly different setups in their on board u-boot binaries

We do have an issue of sorts by installing bot the unified kernal and
the LPAE kernel in the images. I would like to propose we drop the LPAE
kernel, if you need it you need to do an anaconda install.

I plan to do work so that we use MLO in raw space and make sure the MLO
on omap understands ext4 to load u-boot.img from. then we drop the vfat
images all together.

we need work and effort spent on making it better.  I think the only
other viable option is to only produce a minimal image and have it
pre-configured to work on a board. Which is basically what all other
distros do. but even that will require a bit of work to do.

We need to make it easier for the users. Id also like to have installer
images for f21, something similar to boot.iso on x86. but even on many
systems you need to setup something extra to have it boot. esentially
this all boils down to a lack of standards for booting arm systems and
vendors saving a few dollars by not putting onboard nand, spi, etc
flashes that can be used to hold the u-boot.

Dennis