Re: Cubietruck questions - Re: Announcing Fedora 19 ARM remix for Allwinner SOCs release 3

h>>         * If you've an A20 board, your ethernet may have a random
>> mac-address,
>>           so if you want to configure a static ip-address and want it to
>> stick
>>           across reboots, go to the ethernet-tab, select the mac-address
>> field
>>           and delete its contents, so that the static ip address you're
>>           configuring does not get tied to the random mac-address.
>

> I work in IEEE 802.  This is NASTY!  They did not want to get enough address
> space from the RAC?  I may have to get one just to figure out what is going
> on (and will talk to my colleagues in .1 at the Jan meeting.  This is
> probably more common than I would have thought).

It's something that is very common in a lot of the ARM based dev
boards and not just limited to the Allwinner devices. Of the dozen or
so dev boards I have I'm aware that at least 3-4 of them have no set
MAC address. Basically because to store it they need to add a eeprom
to store the MAC to the BOM and they're aiming for bottom of the price
point for these devices basically it adds extra cost they don't want.

Peter