Re: Valgrind: unrecognised instruction

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 03:33:45PM -0600, Jerry James wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > [Sorry for the late response]
>
> Sorry I didn't mention that I solved my problem already!
>
> > GDB should work fine.  It certainly works for x86 OCaml programs.
> >
> > There is a fairly simple relationship between OCaml module + function
> > names and the assembly function names exposed in the DWARF
> > information, with the only caveat being that multiple functions in a
> > single OCaml module are allowed to have the same name (each assembler
> > function will have a number after it, but they are not consecutive).
> > If you get that it's best to try to correlate the assembly output with
> > the function name.  The situation recently improved greatly on x86,
> > now that the DWARF info contains source file+line#, but I don't know
> > if that happened for ARM.
>
> Ah, yes, a useful debuginfo package is now generated on x86.  That's
> nice.  Is there any chance we could start throwing out all the stuff
> in the ocaml spec files that prevents debuginfo package generation?
> Or will that cause problems on non-x86 platforms?

Yes, this would be a good idea ...  I don't think it'll cause problems
on non-x86.  Worst case it would just produce non-functional debuginfo
files there.

> As for this bug, it did happen before entering the main OCaml code.
> By single stepping through assembly code (that was fun), I was able to
> eventually drop back down into OCaml code, which is where the problem
> turned out to be (in an initializer).  Upstream produced a fix for me,
> and the package has already been rebuilt with that fix.  But even
> though the code now runs fine and gdb can disassemble the function in
> question, valgrind still doesn't like that CPU instruction (which has
> nothing whatever to do with the actual bug, by the way).

I guess a missing emulation of this insn in valgrind, but I'll
let people who know more about ARM answer that!

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW