Re: Bad image/instructions? - Re: Problems with a pogoplug v02

On 04/23/2013 08:36 AM, Scott Sullivan wrote:
On 04/23/2013 09:14 AM, omalley_s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Your version of uboot may not support ext2 boot partitions. Try the
directions for booting from a dos partition.
[...]
This time I took a 4Gb usb drive I got from MicroCenter that still had a
FAT partition.  On my F18 notebook as root, I ran:

xzcat Fedora-18-kirkwood-arm.img.xz > /dev/sdc1

Robert, are you still having issues? From the previous threads I thought read that you'd gotten past the booting issue. Had to do with the copying the image to a partition instead of the disk as a whole?

I was working when I shut everything down to get my flight. I will be home tomorrow so we will see if it boots up right!

I was just responding to omalley_s that I DID do things right enough and I have a working drive and booting up.

What this thread started was to find out how to troubleshoot the drive that stopped working so I don't do the same thing wrong again. That is if it was me and not the drive just dying on some key sector.

The later is my concern about running an OS of a USB drive; they fail. I have an ASUS ee700 with only 4Gb SSD, that I used a 16Gb SD for added space. I tried to keep the dynamic part like swap and /var on the SSD and more static parts like / and /home on the SD, but I still lost the SD card and had to rebuild. So that is why I am interested in using dd to image the boot drive at 'check points' so if I loose one, I can switch and keep going.

Anyway, I will be talking about what are the 'best' changes to uboot for going forward.