Re: Raspberry PI thoughts - slightly OT?

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 04/18/2013 04:43 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know how support for the Raspberry PI is with Fedora.  It is
>>> listed
>>> as an ARM chip, though a proprietary Broadcom design.  It fits here
>>> right?
>>>
>>> What I was thinking was have it powered via POE (either from a switch
>>> with
>>> POE or a Powerline adapter with POE, I have read of one of these).  Put
>>> this
>>> in a case, and you would have 2 USB ports for drives.
>>>
>>> About right?
>>
>> The first problem I see is that you would need to convert the 44V at
>> 350ma to the 5V at around 1A that you need to run the RPi properly,
>> I'm not sure there's PoE power adapters that can do that. That's
>> before you've even provided power to the drive(s). The ethernet also
>> runs over the USB which means you've got perf issues that will
>> severely limit any form of decent performance and a lot of people have
>> said there's issues with the USB bus.
>

> I was seeing the drives having their own external power.  The reason for POE
> was to not tie up one usb port for power.

Your getting confused with your usb ports. The power is provided the
microUSB port which isn't a generally usable usb data port.

> But the fact that the ethernet is really a usb device kind of really limits
> this approach.  Not so attractive anymore.  Thanks for the information.

I don't see how it limits the approach at all, for PoE you'd need to
have something inline in the ethernet cable to split the power out to
the the power port.

>>> Now to find a case that will hold not just the PI, but also the POE card
>>> (and the short cable connecting the two, they should have included POE on
>>> the board).
>>
>> Is there a PoE card available that can make those conversions?
>

> I had this url at the end of my original post:
>
> http://www.xtronix.net/datasheets/Raspberry_Pi_PoE_Data_Sheet.pdf
>

>>> This MIGHT be my next attempt for a NAS after getting the pogoplug
>>> working.
>>
>> If you want something like that I would look at the Cubieboard. The
>> A10 devices have a proper PHY attached ethernet and a proper SATA port
>> which should give you half decent performance. The support for A10
>> devices at the moment is by a remix (like the RPi) but it's a much
>> better speced device and the support will only improve where I can't
>> imagine the RPi getting much better than it is now.
>

> I will look into it.  The remix part does put me off a bit though.

It's no different to the RPi, it's currently a remix but rest assured
once we have enough of the A10 kernel support upstream it will be a
properly supported mainline device.

Peter